Yesterday, Governor DeSantis revealed Florida’s Phase 1, tagging it with his data-driven, and measured approach - Safe. Smart. Step-by-Step: Plan for Florida’s Recovery.
To our chiropractic offices - all remains the same. There are no changes regarding being able to see and treat patients, following protective measures in treating patients, and following CDC protocol.
Outside of three counties in Southeast Florida that account for nearly 60% of all of Florida’s COVID-19 cases (Miami-Dade, Broward, Palm Beach) – things may look just a little bit busier.
The biggest change in Phase 1 is the opening of elective procedures and surgeries. Phase 1 allows for:
- Elective surgeries can resume.
- Schools remain social distancing.
- Visits to senior living facilities are prohibited.
- Restaurants may offer outdoor seating with six-foot space between tables and indoor seating at 25% capacity.
- Retail can operate at 25% of indoor capacity.
- No change for bars, gyms, movie theaters, and personal services such as hairdressers.
- Not applicable to Miami-Dade, Broward, and Palm Beach counties.
Phase 1 will not look different in terms of how we mitigate the spread of COVID-19:
- Vulnerable individuals should avoid close contact with people outside the home.
- All individuals, when in public, should maximize physical distance from others.
- Avoid socializing in groups of more than 10 people in circumstances that do not really allow for physical distance.
- Face masks are recommended for all those in face-to-face interactions when you can’t social distance.
What is next in Phase 2 and when will that happen? While Governor DeSantis did not give a firm timeline for moving into the next phases, he stated, “My hope would be each phase we’re thinking about weeks, we’re not thinking about months.” The Governor will continue to look to hospital capacity, hospital admissions, and test results to determine when to move into Phase 2.
You can view the Governor’s more detailed plan in his PowerPoint for the Safe. Smart. Step-by-Step: Plan for Florida’s Recovery. The power point includes:
- Guiding Principles for Re-Opening (pp. 2-3).
- Florida’s Plan Against COVID-19 (p. 4).
- Facts vs. Fear (media versus data on Florida fatalities, hospitalizations, ICU bed availability, ventilator numbers) (pp. 5-19).
- State Gating Criteria (pp. 20-32).
- Long-Term Care Facilities: Protecting the Most Vulnerable (pp. 33-34).
- Walk-Up Testing, Drive thru testing, and mobile lab testing (pp. 35-37).
- Contact Tracing (pp. 38-39).
- Phase 1 (pp. 40-42).
- Florida’s Next Steps (p. 43).
For additional, helpful COVID-19 chiropractic-related resources, please see FCA’s COVID-19 Resource Center at www.fcachiro.org.